ALGA considers the use of information and communications technology (ICT) by local government as vitally important, as ICT is an enabler of productivity improvements and so plays an important role in the sustainability of local government. ALGA has been involved with the development of Information and Communications Policy through membership on several cross-jurisdictional working groups and committees.
Through funding to ALGA under the Networking the Nation project – Lgconnect a range of products were developed. These continue to provide useful information, however have not been updated as funding for these initiatives has now ceased. Links to these products are available below.
The role of local government
The advent of online services has provided government organisations with a cost effective delivery channel to its customers, and local governments have identified the potential benefits of going online in order to:
- extend and enhance the service delivery capabilities of local government to the community
- realise efficiency and productivity gains with the aim of reducing the cost of service delivery
- provide a greater level of communication and interaction between local government and the local community
- provide a community leadership and economic development role (particularly in regional areas)
- provide the ability to work more effectively across levels of government in delivering coordinated 'whole of government' services at the local level.
The broadband vision for local government supports the need for all levels of government to work collaboratively on this task and to be a leader in the facilitation, utilisation and delivery of broadband services at the local level. Local government can:
- define the role of local government in the development and delivery of broadband services
- facilitate the access and uptake of broadband services by local government, particularly in regional areas
- promote the uptake and utilisation of broadband services by the community
- to provide a coordinated planning framework that will align the activities of local governments, commercial telecommunications carriers, government agencies and other stakeholders in the roll-out of broadband services across Australia.