Purpose and description
This document is a first draft of a council services thesaurus. The thesaurus was commissioned by the South Australian Local Government Association and augmented by the Australian Local Government Association to provide a facility for councils to display, promote and provide an online booking service for the services provided by councils. The aim is to provide consistent language across council sites and map non-preferred terms to a preferred term to provide appropriate responses. The thesaurus aims to provide resource discovery. The thesaurus will be used in a services element within a modified AGLS metadata schema. Further work is required on development of the AGLS schema to accommodate the services descriptor. The services thesaurus is not intended to replace the functions or subject elements of the AGLS metadata.
This draft shows a thesaurus hierarchy of four levels. Council services thesaurus comprises the first two levels of the hierarchy:
An additional element is provided for the service type from the Service type AGLS schema.
The thesaurus has been developed after evaluation of the following schemes:
- Service Tasmania's Local Government Services
- ACT Government subject thesaurus
- NSW Local Government Association services thesaurus
- UK Government Category List, part of the eGIF electronic government interoperability framework project
- Functions of New Zealand (FONZ)
- Disposal schedules and classification schemes for records management from various state based records authorities, including NSW, SA, Victoria
- Individual council sites for examples of services and definitions.
This thesaurus hierarchy does not cover common administrative functions carried out by all departments, such as personnel, financial management, fleet management. It has been assumed that these functions can be covered by the use of common administrative thesaurus, such as KWAAA, and these are not likely to be requested by the public via the website.
> Download the Australian local government services and facilities thesaurus