The Directional roadmap is the result of a project funded by Networking the Nation. The task was to assist local government in Australia to develop a directional roadmap for the use of electronic technology by councils for the next five to ten years.
The roadmap includes a vision of where local government should be to best use electronic technology, including in online service delivery and 'joined-up' government.
The vision is set out in a number of documents including this roadmap and an implementation plan.
The prime focus of the Roadmap is on the business of Councils. A directional roadmap for progressing e-Government must build from the things that councils do -
- meeting the needs and expectations of citizens, customers and communities
- dealing with suppliers and other organizations
- maintaining efficient internal business processes.
e-Government involves the structured use of electronic technology to pursue the traditional goals of government. It may enable new and different approaches, but it does not change the fundamental objectives. Indeed, e-Government renews and revitalises those goals. The roadmap reflects this fundamental purpose.
The roadmap also recognises the -
- shared purpose of councils to provide local solutions to the individual needs of their communities
- mutual interest across Councils in managing the growing demand for services
- opportunities for councils to capture the efficiency and affordability benefits from common infrastructure (used in its widest sense) and foundation processes, including in their dealings with other spheres of government, and
- common need of councils to respond to the changing nature of the economy and society, and the expectations of their constituents.
The roadmap concentrates on issues that have a wide-scope, affecting many or most councils. However, it also recognises that these issues can affect councils differently according to their size, location, demographic characteristics and level of existing e-Government investment.
> Download the Directional roadmap
> Download the Directional roadmap implementation plan