National General Assembly
National General Assembly (NGA) brings together hundreds of delegates from councils across Australia to debate issues of national significance to local government. It provides an opportunity for local councils to develop and express a united voice on core issues affecting their communities with access to influential decision-makers of the federal government, at both the political and departmental levels.
The 2012 National General Assembly will be held in Canberra from Sunday 17 June to Wednesday 20 June. The theme for the 2012 NGA is ‘National Voice, Local Choice – Infrastructure, Planning, Services’.
2012 NGA Resolutions
Motions that are carried at the National General Assembly become resolutions. These Resolutions are referred to the ALGA Board to inform future policy initiatives and for consideration in the development of future work programs.
A copy of the Resolutions can be downloaded here.
ALGA wrote to a number of Federal Ministers conveying to them the Resolutions that relate to their policy portfolios. The responses to the Resolutions that ALGA has received are below.
- Minister for Sport, Minister Assisting for Tourism, The Hon Don Farrell
- Parliamentary Secretary for Disabilities and Carers, The Hon Amanda Rishworth MP
- Minister for Families, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs, Minister for Disability Reform, The Hon Jenyy Macklin MP
- Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, The Hon Tony Burke MP
- Minister for Regional Australia, Regional Development and Local Government, the Hon Simon Crean MP
- Minister for Health, the Hon Tanya Plibersek MP
- Minister for Infrastructure and Transport, the Hon Anthony Albanese MP
- Minister for Climate Change and Energy Efficiency, the Hon Greg Combet MP
- Minister for Finance and Deregulation, the Hon Senator Penny Wong
- Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, the Hon Stephen Conroy MP
- Attorney General, the Hon Nicola Roxon MP
- Minister for Resources and Energy, the Hon Martin Ferguson MP
- Minister for Housing, Minister for Homelessness, the Hon Brendan O'Connor MP
- Minister for Early Childhood and Childcare, the Hon Kate Ellis MP
- Minister for Mental Health and Ageing, Minister for Social Inclusion, Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on Mental Health Reform, the Hon Mark Butler MP
- Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, the Hon Chris Bowen MP
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minster, Parliamentary Secretary for Disabilities and Carers, Senator the Hon Jan McLucas
Speeches from the 2012 National General Assembly
PowerPoint presentations from the 2012 National General Assembly