Disaster recovery assistance has been extended to the Gwydir, Moree and Tamworth Local Government Areas in response to severe storms and floods in December.
Assistance is being provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).
Communities experienced significant losses and disruption due to heavy rainfall and flooding over several days, including road closures and power outages.
The assistance announced on 13 February will help cover the costs associated with the operational response and repairing damaged essential public assets, such as roads.
Assistance available under the DRFA may include:
- help for eligible people whose homes or belongings have been damaged;
- support for affected local councils to help with the costs of cleaning up and restoring damaged essential public assets;
- concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and non-profit organisations;
- freight subsidies for primary producers; and
- grants to eligible non-profit organisations.